Agenda for the Regular Meeting of the
El Segundo City Council
Tuesday, May 15, 2001
The City Council, with certain statutory exceptions, can only take action upon properly posted and listed agenda items.
Unless otherwise noted in the Agenda, the Public can only comment on City-related business that is within the jurisdiction of the City Council and/or items listed on the Agenda during the Public Communications portion of the Meeting. Additionally, the Public can comment on any Public Hearing item on the Agenda during the Public Hearing portion of such item. The time limit for comments is five (5) minutes per person.
Before speaking to the City Council, please come to the podium and state: Your name and residence and the organization you represent, if desired. Please respect the time limits.
Members of the Public may place items on the Agenda by submitting a Written Request to the City Clerk or City Manager's Office at least six days prior to the City Council Meeting (by 2:00 p.m. the prior Tuesday). The request must include a brief general description of the business to be transacted or discussed at the meeting. Playing of video tapes or use of visual aids may be permitted during meetings if they are submitted to the City Clerk two (2) working days prior to the meeting and they do not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact City Clerk, 524-2305. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
- 5:00 P.M. SESSION -
Next Resolution # 4215
Next Ordinance # 1337
- CALL TO ORDER
- ROLL CALL:
- The City Council may move into a closed session pursuant to applicable law, including the Brown Act (Government Code 54950, et seq.) for the purposes of conferring with the City's Real Property Negotiator; and/or conferring with the City Attorney on potential and/or existing litigation; and/or discussing matters covered under Gov't Code 54957 (Personnel); and/or conferring with the City's Labor Negotiators as follows:
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION (Gov't Code 54956.9(a))
- Phillips Petroleum, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., USDC No. 1938-MRP (MANx).
- Shell Chemical Company, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., USDC No. 1917-GHK (RCx).
- Jeffrey Capistran v. El Segundo, LASC Case No. YC 038535
- El Segundo v. Trio Manufacturing, LASC No. YC038567
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
- Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Gov't Code 54956.9(b): -0- potential case (no further public statement is required at this time); Initiation of litigation pursuant to Gov't Code 54956.9(c): -2- matters.
- DISCUSSION OF PERSONNEL MATTERS (Gov't Code 54957)
- CONFERENCE WITH CITY'S LABOR NEGOTIATOR - (Gov't Code 54957.6)
- CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR (Gov't Code 54956.8)
- 7:00 PM SESSION -
REPORT OF ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION (if required)
- CALL TO ORDER
- Rev. Julie Elkins, United Methodist Church of El Segundo
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- Council Member Nancy Wernick
- Presentation of El Segundo Poster to Steve Kuykendall in recognition of his representation of El Segundo during his term as a Member of the House of Representatives, 106th Congress.
- Proclamation commemorating May 16, 2001 as Police Officers Memorial Day and the week of May 13-29, 2001 as Police Week in El Segundo.
- ROLL CALL
- PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
(Related to City Business Only - 5 minute limit per person, 30 minute limit total) Individuals who have received value of $50 or more to communicate to the City Council on behalf of another, and employees speaking on behalf of their employer, must so identify themselves prior to addressing the City Council. Failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of $250. While all comments are welcome, the Brown Act does not allow Council to take action on any item not on the agenda. The Council will respond to comments after Public Communications is closed.
c. Request by El Segundo Cub Scout Pack 968C, for City support and waiver of fees to use Grand Avenue from Arena to Eucalyptus on July 22, 2001 for the annual Cub Adventure Soapbox Derby from Noon to 5:00 p.m. (See Consent Item 3).
- A. PROCEDURAL MOTIONS
- Consideration of a motion to read all ordinances and resolutions on this Agenda by title only.
Recommendation - Approval.
- B. SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS
- C. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- D. REPORTS OF COMMITTEES, BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
- E. CONSENT AGENDA
- All items listed are to be adopted by one motion without discussion and passed unanimously. If a call for discussion of an item is made, the item(s) will be considered individually under the next heading of business.
- Warrant Numbers 2517334-2517625 on Register No. 15 in total amount of $849,529.62, and Wire Transfers in the amount of $392,472.34.
Recommendation - Approve Warrant Demand Register and Authorize staff to release. Ratify: Payroll and Employee Benefit checks; checks released early due to contracts or agreements; emergency disbursements and/or adjustments; and wire transfers from 04/21/01 to 05/04/01.
- City Council meeting minutes of May 1, 2001.
Recommendation - Approval.
- Request by El Segundo Cub Scout Pack 968C, for City support and waiver of fees to use Grand Avenue from Arena to Eucalyptus on July 22, 2001 for the annual Cub Adventure Soapbox Derby from Noon to 5:00 p.m. (Fiscal Impact: $441.33)
Recommendation - Approve request, provided the event meets all applicable City requirements.
- Second reading and adoption of an Ordinance adopting the recodified version of the El Segundo Municipal Code.
Recommendation - Second reading and adoption.
- Adoption of Ordinance amending the Downtown Specific Plan to permit tenant/business owner residential units on the second floor of buildings (Specific Plan Amendment No. 01-3 and General Plan No. 01-1).
- Second reading and adoption of Ordinance by title only; or,
- Other possible action/direction.
- Award of contract to Budlong & Associates, Inc. for professional services to provide design services for the electrical upgrade of Recreation Park. Approved Capital Improvement Project - (Fiscal Impact = $21,840.00).
- Award the contract to Budlong & Associates, Inc. in the amount of $21,840.00.
- Authorize the City Manager to execute the standard professional service agreement on behalf of the City.
- Acceptance of Holly Avenue curb and sidewalk - Project No. PW 00-16 (final contract amount $18,455.00) - Approved Capital Improvement Project.
- Accept the work as complete.
- Authorize the City Clerk to file the City Engineer's Notice of Completion in the County Recorder's Office.
- Examination plans for the Personnel Merit System job classifications of Facilities Maintenance Supervisor, Lateral Entry Senior Dispatcher, Program Coordinator, Administrative Specialist and Fire Captain.
Recommendation - Approve the Examination Plans.
- Adopt a resolution certifying the City will sustain its level of expenditures for transportation purposes.
Recommendation - Adopt the resolution, accept receipt of the Traffic Congestion Relief funds and approve the proposed use of those funds.
- CALL ITEMS FROM CONSENT AGENDA
- F. NEW BUSINESS
- Approval of plan for Phase 8 of the City's Residential Sound Insulation (RSI) Program.
Recommendation - Approve Phase 8 plan.
- G. REPORTS - CITY MANAGER
- H. REPORTS - CITY ATTORNEY
- I. REPORTS - CITY CLERK
- J. REPORTS - CITY TREASURER
- K. REPORTS - CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Council Member McDowell
- Council Member Gaines
- Council Member Wernick
- Mayor Pro Tem Jacobs
- Mayor Gordon
- PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
- (Related to City Business Only - 5 minute limit) Individuals, who have received value of $50 or more to communicate to the City Council on behalf of another, and employees speaking on behalf of their employer, must so identify themselves prior to addressing the City Council. Failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of $250. While all comments are welcome, the Brown Act does not allow Council to take action on any item not on the agenda. The Council will respond to comments after Public Communications is closed.
- CLOSED SESSION
- The City Council may move into a closed session pursuant to applicable law, including the Brown Act (Government Code Sec. 54960, et seq.) for the purposes of conferring with the City's Real Property Negotiator; and/or conferring with the City Attorney on potential and/or existing litigation; and/or discussing matters covered under Government Code section 54957 (Personnel); and/or conferring with the City's Labor Negotiators; as follows:
Continuation of matters listed on the City Council Agenda for 5:00 p.m., May 15, 2001 under "Closed Session" (if needed).
ADJOURNMENT TO 5:00 P.M. ON TUESDAY, JUNE 5, 2001
City of El Segundo, 350 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 · 310-524-2300
© Copyright 2001 City of El Segundo