Agenda for the Regular Meeting of the
El Segundo City Council
Tuesday, March 20, 2001
The City Council, with certain statutory exceptions, can only take action upon properly posted and listed agenda items.
Unless otherwise noted in the Agenda, the Public can only comment on City-related business that is within the jurisdiction of the City Council and/or items listed on the Agenda during the Public Communications portion of the Meeting. Additionally, the Public can comment on any Public Hearing item on the Agenda during the Public Hearing portion of such item. The time limit for comments is five (5) minutes per person.
Before speaking to the City Council, please come to the podium and state: Your name and residence and the organization you represent, if desired. Please respect the time limits.
Members of the Public may place items on the Agenda by submitting a Written Request to the City Clerk or City Manager's Office at least six days prior to the City Council Meeting (by 2:00 p.m. the prior Tuesday). The request must include a brief general description of the business to be transacted or discussed at the meeting. Playing of video tapes or use of visual aids may be permitted during meetings if they are submitted to the City Clerk two (2) working days prior to the meeting and they do not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact City Clerk, 524-2305. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
- 5:00 P.M. SESSION -
Next Resolution # 4206
Next Ordinance # 1332
- CALL TO ORDER
- ROLL CALL:
- The City Council may move into a closed session pursuant to applicable law, including the Brown Act (Government Code 54950, et seq.) for the purposes of conferring with the City's Real Property Negotiator; and/or conferring with the City Attorney on potential and/or existing litigation; and/or discussing matters covered under Gov't Code 54957 (Personnel); and/or conferring with the City's Labor Negotiators as follows:
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION (Gov't Code 54956.9(a))
- Phillips Petroleum, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., USDC No. 1938-MRP (MANx).
- Shell Chemical Company, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., USDC No. 1917-GHK (RCx).
- Jeffrey Capistran v. El Segundo, LASC Case No. YC 038535
- Lucas v. El Segundo, LASC Case No. L04721.
- El Segundo v. Trio Manufacturing, LASC No. YC038567
- Glover v. City of El Segundo, LASC Case No. YC039465
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
- Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Gov't Code 54956.9(b): -0- potential case (no further public statement is required at this time); Initiation of litigation pursuant to Gov't Code 54956.9(c): -3- matters.
- DISCUSSION OF PERSONNEL MATTERS (Gov't Code 54957)
- CONFERENCE WITH CITY'S LABOR NEGOTIATOR - (Gov't Code 54957.6)
- CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR (Gov't Code 54956.8)
- 7:00 PM SESSION -
REPORT OF ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION (if required)
- CALL TO ORDER
- Rabbi Mark Hyman, Congregation Tifereth Jacob
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- Mayor Pro Tem Sandra Jacobs
- Proclamation on the South Bay Regional Law Enforcement Exploring Program and Commendations to El Segundo Explorers of Academy Class #42, Trevor Sellens and Patrick Ory.
- Commendations presented to Cathie Haynes, El Segundo Middle School 7th Grade Science Teacher, and her students Nichole Bobco, Ariel Kapur, MayMay Lau, Casey Topar, Alan Phuoc Nguyen, Cathey Teoh, and Mitchell Sharrar for their winning essays in the Air Force Association 2001 Space Walk competition on the essay topics of Space Based Laser, Space in the Future, Commercial Communication Satellites and NASA.
- ROLL CALL
- PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
(Related to City Business Only - 5 minute limit per person, 30 minute limit total) Individuals who have received value of $50 or more to communicate to the City Council on behalf of another, and employees speaking on behalf of their employer, must so identify themselves prior to addressing the City Council. Failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of $250. While all comments are welcome, the Brown Act does not allow Council to take action on any item not on the agenda. The Council will respond to comments after Public Communications is closed.
- A. PROCEDURAL MOTIONS
- Consideration of a motion to read all ordinances and resolutions on this Agenda by title only.
Recommendation - Approval.
- B. SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS
- C. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- D. REPORTS OF COMMITTEES, BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
- 1. Amend Resolution #3665 changing the Board of Library Trustees meetings to Bi-Monthly.
Recommendation - Approve a resolution changing the Board of Library Trustees meetings from monthly to bi-monthly commencing with the April 2001 meeting, and authorize the board to make the same change in their bylaws.
- E. CONSENT AGENDA
- All items listed are to be adopted by one motion without discussion and passed unanimously. If a call for discussion of an item is made, the item(s) will be considered individually under the next heading of business.
- Warrant Numbers 2516117-2516471 on Register No. 11 in total amount of $1,281,452.66, and Wire Transfers in the amount of $317,544.91.
Recommendation - Approve Warrant Demand Register and Authorize staff to release. Ratify: Payroll and Employee Benefit checks; checks released early due to contracts or agreements; emergency disbursements and/or adjustments; and wire transfers from 02/24/01 to 03/09/01.
- City Council meeting minutes of March 6, 2001.
Recommendation - Approval.
- Five Resolutions consolidating all resolutions relating to fines and fees for the Finance Department, Recreation and Parks Department, Fire Department, Police Department, and Public Works.
Recommendation - Adopt Resolutions.
- Adoption of Ordinance on a proposed Development Agreement and General Plan Amendment to demolish a 12-story office building and construct a new six-story, 120,610 square foot office building, which exceeds the floor area ration (FAR) in the Corporate Office (CO) Zone, at 888 North Sepulveda Boulevard. (Environmental Assessment No. EA-535, Development Agreement No. 00-2, and General Plan No. 00-2.) Property owner: W9/SEP Real Estate Limited Partnership.
- Second reading and adoption of Ordinance by title only; or
- Other possible action/direction.
- Award contract to Transportable Treatment Services, Inc. for the lining of sanitary sewer access structures at various locations - Approved Capital Improvement Project No. PW 00-18 (contract amount = $42,460.00).
- Award contract to the lowest responsible bidder, Transportable Treatment Services, Inc., in the amount of $42,460.00.
- Authorize the Mayor to execute the standard Public Works contract after approval as to form by the City Attorney.
- Examination plans for the Personnel Merit System job classifications of Assistant Planner and Park Maintenance Worker I/II.
Recommendation - Approve the Examination Plans.
- Request for the City Council to reallocate $150,851 previously approved communications center resources to fund equipment and services provided by the West Covina Service Group (WCSG).
Recommendation - Reallocate $150,851 to the Communications Center for equipment and services provided by the WCSG.
- Pyrospectaculars Contract.
Recommendation - Approve contract.
- CALL ITEMS FROM CONSENT AGENDA
- F. NEW BUSINESS
- The Downtown Subcommittee has recommended that parking on the City Hall plaza be included in the Downtown Specific Plan. Staff is requesting direction to implement the Downtown Subcommittee recommendation.
Recommendation - Authorize staff to study the feasibility and cost of parking on the City Hall plaza.
- Reorganization of the Human Resources and Finance Department into a single Administrative Services Department.
- Approve reorganization, departmental title change, and salary change.
- Approve job description changes effective October 1, 2001 adding the Director of Administrative Services, eliminating the Finance Director and amending the Assistant City Manager description.
- First reading and introduction of an ordinance creating the Administrative Services Department and Director of Administrative Services position as at-will.
- Schedule second reading and adoption of the Ordinance for April 3, 2001.
- Adoption of Resolution adding the Director of Administrative Services position to the City's conflict of interest Code.
All changes to be fully implemented by October 1, 2001.
- Consideration of Amendment to the contract between the Board of Administration of the Public Employees' Retirement System and the City Council of the City of El Segundo providing 21363.1 (3% at 55 Full and Modified formula) for local fire members, as required by the El Segundo Firefighters' Association 2000-03 Memorandum of Understanding.
- Read resolution by title only;
- Adopt Resolution;
- Provide for first reading of the Ordinance;
- Schedule second reading and adoption of the Ordinance for April 17, 2001;
- Authorize the Mayor to sign the Certification of Member Contribution Rate.
- G. REPORTS - CITY MANAGER
- H. REPORTS - CITY ATTORNEY
- I. REPORTS - CITY CLERK
- J. REPORTS - CITY TREASURER
- K. REPORTS - CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Council Member McDowell
- Council Member Gaines
- Council Member Wernick
- Mayor Pro Tem Jacobs
- Mayor Gordon
- PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
- (Related to City Business Only - 5 minute limit) Individuals, who have received value of $50 or more to communicate to the City Council on behalf of another, and employees speaking on behalf of their employer, must so identify themselves prior to addressing the City Council. Failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of $250. While all comments are welcome, the Brown Act does not allow Council to take action on any item not on the agenda. The Council will respond to comments after Public Communications is closed.
- CLOSED SESSION
- The City Council may move into a closed session pursuant to applicable law, including the Brown Act (Government Code Sec. 54960, et seq.) for the purposes of conferring with the City's Real Property Negotiator; and/or conferring with the City Attorney on potential and/or existing litigation; and/or discussing matters covered under Government Code section 54957 (Personnel); and/or conferring with the City's Labor Negotiators; as follows:
Continuation of matters listed on the City Council Agenda for 5:00 p.m., March 20, 2001 under "Closed Session" (if needed).
City of El Segundo, 350 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 · 310-524-2300
© Copyright 2001 City of El Segundo