Agenda for the Regular Meeting of the
El Segundo City Council
Tuesday, April 3, 2001
The City Council, with certain statutory exceptions, can only take action upon properly posted and listed agenda items.
Unless otherwise noted in the Agenda, the Public can only comment on City-related business that is within the jurisdiction of the City Council and/or items listed on the Agenda during the Public Communications portion of the Meeting. Additionally, the Public can comment on any Public Hearing item on the Agenda during the Public Hearing portion of such item. The time limit for comments is five (5) minutes per person.
Before speaking to the City Council, please come to the podium and state: Your name and residence and the organization you represent, if desired. Please respect the time limits.
Members of the Public may place items on the Agenda by submitting a Written Request to the City Clerk or City Manager's Office at least six days prior to the City Council Meeting (by 2:00 p.m. the prior Tuesday). The request must include a brief general description of the business to be transacted or discussed at the meeting. Playing of video tapes or use of visual aids may be permitted during meetings if they are submitted to the City Clerk two (2) working days prior to the meeting and they do not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact City Clerk, 524-2305. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
- 5:00 P.M. SESSION -
Next Resolution # 4214
Next Ordinance # 1334
- CALL TO ORDER
- ROLL CALL:
- SPECIAL MATTER:
- 1. Appoint Mary Strenn, City Manager, as Real Property Negotiator for the lease or purchase of Lots 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24, of Tract No. 47247, City of El Segundo, County of Los Angeles, State of California as per map recorded in Book 1143, pages 20, 22 and 23, of Maps in the office of said County.
- The City Council may move into a closed session pursuant to applicable law, including the Brown Act (Government Code 54950, et seq.) for the purposes of conferring with the City's Real Property Negotiator; and/or conferring with the City Attorney on potential and/or existing litigation; and/or discussing matters covered under Gov't Code 54957 (Personnel); and/or conferring with the City's Labor Negotiators as follows:
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION (Gov't Code 54956.9(a))
- Phillips Petroleum, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., USDC No. 1938-MRP (MANx).
- Shell Chemical Company, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., USDC No. 1917-GHK (RCx).
- Jeffrey Capistran v. El Segundo, LASC Case No. YC 038535
- Lucas v. El Segundo, LASC Case No. L04721.
- El Segundo v. Trio Manufacturing, LASC No. YC038567
- Glover v. City of El Segundo, LASC Case No. YC039465
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
- Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Gov't Code 54956.9(b): -1- potential case (no further public statement is required at this time); Initiation of litigation pursuant to Gov't Code 54956.9(c): -2- matters.
- DISCUSSION OF PERSONNEL MATTERS (Gov't Code 54957)
- CONFERENCE WITH CITY'S LABOR NEGOTIATOR - (Gov't Code 54957.6)
- CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR (Gov't Code 54956.8)
- Real property negotiation meeting with Mary Strenn, Real Property Negotiator, regarding the lease or purchase of Lots 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24, of Tract No. 47247, City of El Segundo, County of Los Angeles, State of California as per map recorded in Book 1143, pages 20, 22 and 23, of Maps in the office of said County.
- 7:00 PM SESSION -
REPORT OF ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION (if required)
- CALL TO ORDER
- Greg Barentine, Minister, Community of Christ
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- Council Member Nancy Wernick
- Commendation to AYSO El Segundo Region 92 players for their winning accomplishments and fine publicity they have brought to our community by their good sportsmanship and inspired team play.
- Proclamation declaring Saturday, April 7, 2001 as the First Anniversary of the El Segundo Dog Park, and inviting the community and their "canine friends" to the official ceremony to be held at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, April 7, 2001.
- Proclamation proclaiming April 1 - 7, 2001 NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK in El Segundo with the national campaign theme of "@ the Library" and encouraging all citizens of all ages to visit and see what's new @ your Library.
- Proclamation declaring the month of April as EARTHQUAKE PREPAREDNESS MONTH and the week of April 23-29, 2001 as FAMILY AND COMMUNITY PREPAREDNESS WEEK in the City of El Segundo.
- Commendations to the members of the El Segundo Youth Swim Team and their Coaches for their dedication to the Urho Saari tradition of championship swimmers.
- ROLL CALL
- PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
(Related to City Business Only - 5 minute limit per person, 30 minute limit total) Individuals who have received value of $50 or more to communicate to the City Council on behalf of another, and employees speaking on behalf of their employer, must so identify themselves prior to addressing the City Council. Failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of $250. While all comments are welcome, the Brown Act does not allow Council to take action on any item not on the agenda. The Council will respond to comments after Public Communications is closed.
- A. PROCEDURAL MOTIONS
- Consideration of a motion to read all ordinances and resolutions on this Agenda by title only.
Recommendation - Approval.
- B. SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS
- C. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- D. REPORTS OF COMMITTEES, BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
- E. CONSENT AGENDA
- All items listed are to be adopted by one motion without discussion and passed unanimously. If a call for discussion of an item is made, the item(s) will be considered individually under the next heading of business.
- Warrant Numbers 2516472-2516762 on Register No. 12 in total amount of $841,131.43, and Wire Transfers in the amount of $1,016,144.27.
Recommendation - Approve Warrant Demand Register and Authorize staff to release. Ratify: Payroll and Employee Benefit checks; checks released early due to contracts or agreements; emergency disbursements and/or adjustments; and wire transfers from 03/10/01 to 03/23/01.
- City Council meeting minutes of March 20, 2001.
Recommendation - Approval.
- Second reading and adoption of Ordinance No. 1332 amending Section 2.28.030 Title 2, of the El Segundo Municipal Code to reflect the creation of the Administrative Services Department and the Director of Administrative Services position.
Recommendation - Adopt Ordinance No. 1332.
- Approval of Amendment Number 5 to the City's Contract Number 2737 of November 15, 1999 with Wyle Laboratories Inc. (Wyle) to extend the time Wyle provides in program management of the City's Residential Sound Insulation (RSI) Program. This amendment continues Wyle's current project management service for up to 6 months at a cost not to exceed $10,000 per month, or $60,000 total.
Recommendation - Approve Amendment Number 5 to City Contract Number 2737 and authorize the Mayor to execute the Amendment upon approval of the City Attorney.
- Consideration of a California Defense Retention Grant Program Application to the State of California - Technology, Trade and Commerce Agency.
Recommendation - Approve filing of grant application with qualification.
- License Agreement with Boeing Satellite Systems for installation of underground communication conduits within the public street rights-of-way.
Recommendation - Approve License Agreement with Boeing Satellite Systems and authorize the Mayor to execute the Agreement on behalf of the City.
- CALL ITEMS FROM CONSENT AGENDA
- F. NEW BUSINESS
- Introduction and explanation of the recodification process for the newly reorganized municipal code.
- Receive new Municipal Code.
- Approve planned adoption schedule.
- Other recommendations.
- An Ordinance of the City Council amending certain sections of the Municipal Code to provide for the setting of fees by Resolution.
- First reading by title only.
- Introduce Ordinance.
- Schedule second reading and adoption for April 17, 2001.
- Extend the Residential and Municipal Solid Waste Collection Contract with Consolidated Disposal Services, L.L.C., a subsidiary of Republic Services, Inc., for a three (3) year term at the current rate - Fiscal Impact = $510,000.
Recommendation -Authorize staff to process and execute the extended agreement at the current rate structure for a period of three (3) years.
- Request for Proposals from qualified consultants to develop a Sewer Master Plan - Fiscal Impact = $150,000.
Recommendation - Authorize staff to solicit proposals from qualified consultants.
- Request for the City Council to implement a Communications Training Officer (CTO) program and increase the authorized staff level for Senior Dispatchers to provide more supervisory coverage. No cost from the General Fund, $17,800 from Asset Forfeiture.
- Approve the creation and implementation of a CTO program for the newly formed dispatch center.
- Increase Senior Dispatcher authorized staff level to 4 positions; and reduce full-time Communications Dispatcher authorized staff level to 13 positions, thus keeping the same overall authorized staff level.
- G. REPORTS - CITY MANAGER
- H. REPORTS - CITY ATTORNEY
- I. REPORTS - CITY CLERK
- J. REPORTS - CITY TREASURER
- K. REPORTS - CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Council Member McDowell
- Council Member Gaines
- Council Member Wernick
- Mayor Pro Tem Jacobs
- Mayor Gordon
- PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
- (Related to City Business Only - 5 minute limit) Individuals, who have received value of $50 or more to communicate to the City Council on behalf of another, and employees speaking on behalf of their employer, must so identify themselves prior to addressing the City Council. Failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of $250. While all comments are welcome, the Brown Act does not allow Council to take action on any item not on the agenda. The Council will respond to comments after Public Communications is closed.
- CLOSED SESSION
- The City Council may move into a closed session pursuant to applicable law, including the Brown Act (Government Code Sec. 54960, et seq.) for the purposes of conferring with the City's Real Property Negotiator; and/or conferring with the City Attorney on potential and/or existing litigation; and/or discussing matters covered under Government Code section 54957 (Personnel); and/or conferring with the City's Labor Negotiators; as follows:
Continuation of matters listed on the City Council Agenda for 5:00 p.m., April 3, 2001 under "Closed Session" (if needed).
City of El Segundo, 350 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 · 310-524-2300
© Copyright 2001 City of El Segundo