Before any permit may be issued, the following plans shall be filed and approved by the Building & Safety Department:
1. Theaters or motion picture theaters.
2. Assembly rooms or similar places having an assemblage or seating capacity exceeding 500 persons.
3. All health care facilities within the scope of Article 517 of the California Electrical Code.
4. A new building, or addition, where the computed area exceeds 30,000 square feet (2787 M2, except where the total service load does not exceed 84 KVA computed with demand factor, if allowed). The computed area shall be the sum of the areas on each floor bounded by the outside surfaces of the exterior walls and shall include floor areas beneath building projections which extend more than 6 feet (1829 min).
5. All electrical installations over 600 volts.
6. Installation in locations classified as hazardous locations, unless otherwise satisfactory to the department.
7. Proposed installations, other than Items 1 through 6 where over 600 amperes of load are to be added or where a disconnection means rated over 600 amperes is to be installed.
8. Assembly rooms or similar places having an assemblage capacity exceeding 200 persons but not exceeding 500 persons.
9. Installations of a complicated nature including those which require an emergency supply system.
i. Plan check will not be required for the addition of strobe power supplies and their attached devices connected to any existing fire control unit (panel).
ii. Plan check will not be required for the installation of special extinguishing, central station monitoring systems, dialers, and their attached devices.
iii. Plan check will not be required for the addition of any fire warning devices connected to an existing programmable fire warning system.
iv. Plan check will not be required for the installation of any non-required fire warning system.
10. Installation of lighting fixtures weighing more than 300 pounds (136 kg).
11. Plans for an energy analysis are required.
12. All fire alarm installations will require review and approval for device location by the El Segundo Fire Department only; electrical plan check not required for device location.
13. Exit sign and egress lighting installations will require review and approval by the El Segundo Fire Department.