Low Graphics Version     
How Do I...VisitingLivingWorkingDepartmentsCalendarsServices
Homepage > ... > Planning and Building Safety > Building & Safety > FAQE-mail storyPrint friendly format
Online Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Take a look below at our frequently asked questions or
Ask a question by email.

Q. When Do I Need a Permit?

A. Any building or structure which is erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished will require a building permit from the Building Safety Division. When in doubt, please give us a call to verify permit requirements: (310) 524-2380.

Q. Are Any Other Permits Required?

A. Separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits may be required even if exempted from a building permit. Sign permits and grading permits may also be required for certain projects, zoning approval may also be required.

Q. Do I Need to Submit Drawings in Order to Obtain a Permit?

A.In most cases you would need drawings. Please call (310) 524-2380 for information. Drawings would typically include:

  • a plot plan
  • a foundation plan
  • a floor plan
  • one or more elevation views
  • construction details
  • other information depending on the complexity of the project
Q. Can I Get an Over-the-Counter Review of my Plans?

A. All plans are reviewed by Certified Plans Examiners who make every attempt to review your plans in a timely manner. Over-the-counter plan reviews are available for small projects which have been prepared with enough information to show conformance with the code(s) and other ordinances of this City.

Q. What if I Need Help? Who Should I Call?

A. Call the Building Safety Division at (310) 524-2380. Your call will be directed to the appropriate person.

Q. Can I Expedite my Plan Review?

A. Yes. Expedited plan checks will be reviewed, in most cases, by the City's plan check consultant. In addition to the normal plan check fees, an additional expedited fee will be assessed.

Q. How long will it take for Staff to review my plans?

A. A review of your plans will usually take from 6-8 weeks. This will vary with the complexity and completeness of your plans. An expedited plan review will be completed within 4-6 weeks.

Q. In order to save time, may I submit plans for plan check prior to receiving other City approvals (AUP, CUP, Precise Plan, etc.)?

A. Yes. A letter from the applicant will be required which clearly states an understanding that construction plans can not be approved if certain other approvals are not obtained first.

Q. Do field changes (modifications to the approved set of plans) need to be approved by your Department?

A. Yes. Any changes to the approved set of plans must be submitted and approved by the appropriate Department(s) and/or other Agencies before construction changes are implemented.

Q. When can I get my Certificate of Occupancy (C of O)?

A. When all permits have received final inspection approval and when all City Departments have signed off on their area of responsibility.

Q. Some Cities allow us to work without a permit up to a point where the first inspection is required prior to plan check approval. Is this practice allowed in El Segundo?

A. No. Permits are required prior to work.

Q. How Can I Request An Inspection?

A. You can request inspection by calling our 24-hour inspection line at (310) 524-2379 at least one working day prior to the desired inspection.

Q. What are the construction hours?

A.  It is based on the construction noise regualtions. In general no one can work between the hours of
             6:00 pm to 7:00am on Monday through Saturday, or at any time on Sunday or a Federal holiday.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 City of El Segundo, 350 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 · 310-524-2300 | Website Privacy Policy. Powered by